[78-L] Pierre and Chaikovskii...

Ted Kneebone tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net
Wed Jan 7 12:45:03 PST 2009

I used to be a librarian at Northern State University, and one of my jobs
was to catalog our new LPs and music scores.  In those days (1957-1960), we
used the Library of Congress catalogs, their printed cards, etc.  They
transliterated the Cyrillic characters into Chaikovskii, Stravinskii,
Musorgskii, etc.  So that's what we used in order to be consistent with our
printed cards.  I don't know what LC does with those Russian names today.
Anyone know?

Aberdeen was named for the city in Scotland.  Andrew Carnegie's friend's
name was Alexander Mitchell.  So, he named our public library Alexander
Mitchell Public Library.  We are famous for L. Frank Baum and L. W. Zietlow,
inventor of the first dial telephone and its distribution system.  And the
Fischer Quints, born in 1963.  We are even called the "Hub citiy" -- but we
have not seen a passenger train since April 1969.  -

Ted Kneebone. 1528 S. Grant St., Aberdeen, SD 57401. Phone: 605-226-3344.