[78-L] RCA Victor reverse side "spider web" etching name?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jan 6 20:54:45 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "joe at salerno.com" <jsalerno at earthlink.net>
> I've never thought it particularly attractive myself, what were they
> trying to say, that their reocrds were old and stored improperly? That
> the music was old? Or the owners of the records livewd in dingy old
> houses and never swept up after themselved? That the records or music
> belonged in a museum?
> Why not a sun burst or something a little more positive?

They just wanted/needed something to put on the "B side" of single-faced
issues (often found as the last disc in classical album sets, as well as the
"special issues" which only had one side...!). The completely-blank
reverse used on early SF issues caused slippage and off-speed playing
on 78 turntables...!

...stevenc