[78-L] Dates on AFRS transcriptions

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 5 14:47:59 PST 2009

joe at salerno.com wrote:
> Looking at my log. It looks like a combination of performances. Oberon
> Overture, Mahler #1 from Oct.21. Paganini Rhapsody & Onegin POlonaise
> from Oct 28.
>
> So another question - why bother? Why not just present the music as it
> was broadcast originally, since there was no intent to avoid repetition
> of the SVR Paganini? At least it answers my question about avoiding
> redundancy of the repertoire between AFRS & V-disc - there was no effort
> to do so.
>
> joe salerno

For starters, the AFRS Philharmonic broadcasts were an hour, not 90 minutes or
two hours..they'd have chopped wherever they could. Only the first two
movements of the Mahler were included, plus the Overture, Polonaise and
Rhapsody. Maybe they figured an AFRS audience would object less to getting half
a Mahler Symphony than half a Tchaikovsky.

The Ellington programs are just as chopped up, with items inserted from earlier
broadcasts or some later ones, sometimes unannounced..there are times when you
hear three different announcers in the same program.

dl