[78-L] Dates on AFRS transcriptions

joe@salerno.com jsalerno at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 4 15:36:17 PST 2009

Don't know about popular, but in the case of classical AFRS ET dates are
MOSTLY correct, as far as I know. I've documented one instance in which
they substituted material without a note on the date.

This instance was the Oct 28, 1945 performance of the Paganini Rhapsody
with Kapell/Rodzinski/NYPS. This performance was issued on V-Discs. On
the AFRS release of the same concert, the orchestral selections are
there, but Kapell is nowhere to be found. For his portion they
substituted the Strauss Burlesque with Arrau from a few weeks before.
That additional date is not given in the run out, like anyone cared, nor
does the announcer mention the fact that there was a different conductor
for the Strauss on that other date, whose name I am not thinking of at
the moment.

I have wondered if the AFRS & V-Disc producers cooperated in such
matters to avoid redundancy in sending material to the troops, or if
this was the decision of some conscientious program planner, or an
accident. I've never encountered this any other instance, or known of
some incident to check on.

Anyone else on the list know of such an occurence?

joe salerno