[78-L] BOOK PUBLISHING DEADLINES..HOW TIGHT? + WILL ROGERS QUESTION

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 2 21:32:50 PST 2009

Donna Halper wrote:
> At 11:22 PM 1/2/2009, Mike wrote:
>> Was the book PRINTED in the U.S. or Canada, or somewhere else like
>> Singapore or China?  While pages can now be instantly sent to printers
>> by the internet, it still takes time to get the printed books back here
>> to the U.S. from Asia or Europe.
>
> Exactly.  I was still doing up-date of my own most recent book right
> up to early September, and the book came out in late November.  But
> Greenwood Press is in Connecticut, and the printer they use is in NY,
> so we were able to shoe-horn in a few last-minute additions, although
> not major changes to the text.

The reference to Tina Fey is on page 67, in the introduction to Satire and
Parody. The Fey impersonations started around September 13th, I think (second
one was September 27th). Since the election results aren't mentioned, I guess
there was enough time..!

Another question raised just a couple of pages later: Will Rogers' line "We are
the first nation on earth to ride to the poor house in an automobile." This is
cited as coming from Rogers' introduction to Herbert Hoover, on the radio on
October 18, 1931. The line is heard on "I Can Hear It Now" Volume I, in poor
sound. Does the entire broadcast exist? Is this what was on the Will Rogers
"unissued" item Larry Holdridge offered a couple of years ago? (Mxs CVE 69036/7
which are Camden masters from October 1931..could be!)