[78-L] Deep Ellum Blues^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jan 2 18:01:58 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>> BTW...are there any words(in English) which end with "L-M" which should
>> be
>> pronounced with the "L-M" ending...?!
> H-E-L-M?

Which ISN'T pronounced "hell-um"...?! As well, we don't speak of the
"pall-ums"
pf Miami (nor beggars with "pall-ums"outstretched, asking for
"all-ums"...?!) nor
do our clergy quote the "psall-ums"...?! As well, storms are not said to be
preceded by a "call-um"...?! Yet, we often go see "fill-ums" or sit beneath
"ell-ums!"

Sadly, the English tongue, like an old car I once owned, seems to be
assembled
using "spare parts" (of speech?!) found in a linguistic "junk-yard" of
leftover
odds and ends...?! Thus, when a letter or two shows up, we CANNOT exactly
predict how (or if...?!) it will be pronounced...?!

One never knows...do one?!

...stevenc