[78-L] Exciting announcement

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jan 1 23:45:40 PST 2009

Donna Halper wrote:
> At 11:45 PM 1/1/2009, you wrote:
>
>> Believe it or not, the Gramophone has set up a free Web archive with
>> all the contents of the magazine including advertisements from the
>> first issue in 1923 up to the present!
>>

> And I guess it likes me, it really likes me, because my registration
> e-mail arrived within 5 seconds of my completing the form at the
> Gramophone site.  Thanks for the information Steve, and happy new year.

I've been devouring it for the past few hours.  I wish it was easier to
browse from page to page without having to go back to earlier pages so
often.  I quickly found that what I heard about the Brits love of fibre
needles was true.  During the war years, even when records were scarce,
many ads insisted on only "fibred" records and records"never touched by
a steel needle".  I saw one ad offering records "fibred three times".
All this cactus juice was part of the problem in the development of
crackle on British pressings in later years.

In the May 1942 issye I found a fullpage ad with picture announcing some
new records made by Oda Slobodskaya exclusively for the Rimington, Van
Wyck Ltd store by Decca.   I'll slip this ad in  my copy of her Peter
and the Wolf.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com