[78-L] Bunny Berigan on Brunswick 7784 "Where Are You?"

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 28 21:30:30 PST 2008

Tyrone Settlemier wrote:
> Finished pressing.  semi-flexible, not modern vinyl, but definately not
> laminate.  I'm really not that familiar with CBS test pressings, but my
> guess would be early 40s.  Definately earlier than the Robert Johnson test
> pressings I had, which I would have guessed to be from the 60s.  If it
> helps, the label is solid white, no printing.  Ledgibly handwritten in pink
> pencil.

There's the possibility this is an "Altschuler" pressing or done for
anybody else considering doing a reissue.  Extras abounded because
usually 5 to 10 pressings had to be made to make sure there were good
ones.  The first couple off were usually bad.   I would think that this
was done yars after the record was out rather as tests for selecting
which takes to use.  Those would have labels with printed places to
write all the info, would usually be single sided, and should be
untrimmed so the rim writing that Columbia used could be read.  Quite
possibly this is either a "recreation" of the actual record with the
released takes for reissue, or could be a pairing of the unissued takes
to make a collectors item.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com