[78-L] Toscanini LMEs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 28 15:11:53 PST 2008

David Lennick wrote:
> Michael Biel wrote:
>
>> We have also been totally concerned with when the LPs were ISSUED.  How
>> often do we consider issue dates of 78s??!!!
>>

> Constantly, when I need to prove that a given record is over 50 years old. Gart
> may not be bang on the money but he's better than nothing for the period from
> 1940 to 1960.
>

>> The earliest discographies
>> in the 30s and 40s were catalog number based and did tend to place
>> records in release order.  Once we worked in matrix number order there
>> was very little interest in release order, although I have occasionally
>> mentioned that the influence of a record on the public can be noted more
>> from release date than recording date.

>>  None of us have thought to use
>> something like Goldmine's Standard Catalog of American Records!  Looking
>> at it there is some basic info of year of release of copies on different
>> label formats and this would show when an (e) first came out, but we
>> don't trust their research, do we!!!!!!
>>

> We don't trust Whitburn either, but he had to base his fake charts and dates on
> SOMETHING, even if it was reports in Billboard which were probably hyped by the
> reporting record dealers. It still gives a rough idea of when a given record
> was on the market. Once there are dates for "first charting", you're probably
> within a couple of weeks of the disc's first appearance on the market.

The dates for first charting can be different depending on the depth of
the chart being used -- Top 40, Top 100, Top 200 bubbling under top
100.  The longer the chart the closer to release date, even for records
that eventually became #1.  But I would then look at ads and at the new
release listings and reviews.  They might pull the release date back to
an earlier date than the charts.
> It's
> also interesting to check the dates for hits and their cover versions.
> Sometimes they're surprisingly close, so the song pluggers were doing their jobs.
>
> None of this applies for classical, obviously.
>
> dl

Ads can give so much great release date info, especially including
classical.  As I mentioned, the Sunday NY Times was great for this.
During the late 50s to mid 60s I devoured the Section 2 ads each week,
looking for what was on sale at Goodys, Korvettes, etc, but also at the
record company ads as the new innovations were announced.