[78-L] Toscanini LMEs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 28 14:25:04 PST 2008

This entire exchange shows how different our resources are for
researching 78s (especially pre-42) and LPs.  Although many of us have
original catalogs from the 78 years we usually dive into discographies.
But for LPs without exception the only places any of us have looked were
original artifacts -- Schwann, The Long Player, High Fidelity, and if I
could I'd have gone to Billboard or driven down to school to go thru the
New York Times Sunday section 2 and look at the Sam Goody ads!!

We have also been totally concerned with when the LPs were ISSUED.  How
often do we consider issue dates of 78s??!!!  The earliest discographies
in the 30s and 40s were catalog number based and did tend to place
records in release order.  Once we worked in matrix number order there
was very little interest in release order, although I have occasionally
mentioned that the influence of a record on the public can be noted more
from release date than recording date.  None of us have thought to use
something like Goldmine's Standard Catalog of American Records!  Looking
at it there is some basic info of year of release of copies on different
label formats and this would show when an (e) first came out, but we
don't trust their research, do we!!!!!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com