[78-L] Nelson Eddy's Greatest Hits

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 28 13:14:18 PST 2008

Sammy Jones wrote:
> I just picked up this CD for $1.50 at a local record store that will be
> shortly going out of business.

Hey..now that they've finally unloaded that Eddy disc, they might just lock the
doors today!

> The sound is not bad.  Fake echo is very evident throughout, but not
> overdone (I'd prefer they didn't put it in at all...).
>
> I'm guessing all of the tracks come from Columbia 78s, but Sony has provided
> no discographic information.  Can anyone fill in any details?

See below.

> The CD in question is Sony A 24298, Nelson Eddy's Greatest Hits.  No release
> date is indicated, but I'd guess early to mid-90s.
>
> Eddy's renditions of "Short'nin' Break" and "Stout-hearted Men" are great!
>
> Thanks,
> Sammy Jones

Probably a reissue of CS 9481 (mono: CL 2681 which I've never seen). A hand
writ note on my copy says "reversing phase helps A LOT".

TRAMP, TRAMP TRAMP (SEPT. 13/49) Robert Ambruster cond.
ROSE MARIE (FEB. 12/51) Howard Chandler Chorus; Leon Arnaud cond. Columbia
Concert Orch.
THE MOUNTIES (FEB. 12/51) same as above
AT THE BALALAIKA (OCT. 19/39) Nathaniel Finston cond.
SONG OF THE VOLGA BOATMEN (OCT. 19/39) Nathaniel Finston cond.
SHORT'NIN' BREAD (FEB. 1/42) Robert Ambruster cond.
STOUT-HEARTED MEN (JULY 18/40) Nat Finston cond.
LOVER COME BACK TO ME (JULY 18/40) Nat Finston cond.
I'LL SEE YOU AGAIN (OCT. 14/40) Robert Armbruster cond.
MY HERO (OCT. 5/41) w. Rise Stevens; Robert Armbruster cond.
I MARRIED AN ANGEL (FEB. 1/42) Robert Armbruster cond.

The notes refer to his death on March 6/67, so this was probably issued shortly
after..by 1968 there wouldn't have been a mono issue.