[78-L] Electronic stereo and Schwann

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 28 12:43:03 PST 2008

Bertrand CHAUMELLE wrote:
> I know that the process used by RCA Victor was American.
>
> What I meant is: before that (but not in the 'twenties,  ca. 1959), a
> German guy found an ELECTRONIC way of simulating stereo, from a mono
> source. I can't be more specific (record numbers and so on) because my
> notes on the subject are scattered somewhere.
>
> BC

By all means, when you do dig up your sources bring this up again.  I
have not known of any releases of fake stereo before the three Toscanini
LMEs.

 > >Those first Toscanini albums got a rave review in High Fidelity at
the time.  I've still never seen a single one of them.  dl

I've always known those were rare, but am surprised to hear that David
has never seen them.  I found two of them in 66 or 67 when I worked at a
rack jobber which had a HUGE stock of cut-outs.  My boss didn't even
charge me the minimal 30 cents because he said they were unsalable.  I
forget where I found the third one, but it was only about ten years
ago.  It might have been at Pops in Lexington.

I'll have to pull them out, but I think that the article was the R.D.
Darrell inserted liner notes, so there might have been a conflict of
interest.  They aren't bad, but they are not mixable to mono, and I
recall the monos did have more sparkling sound.  They are not anywhere
as interesting as the real stereo which exists of Toscanini's last
concert.  There you can clearly hear the problem that is just a jumble
in the mono.  The two sides of the orchestra were not in sync with each
other in some places.  His beat must have been hard to see.  It also
proves that the orchestra never did stop playing.  If you play it in
sync with the broadcast, where the announcer cuts in and plays the
recording of Brahams 1st, when they resume the concert it is still in
sync with the stereo where you hear that the orchestra had continued --
confused, but it continued.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com