[78-L] Christmas Music

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 28 10:11:53 PST 2008

Michael Biel wrote:

> The tradition of the Christmas radio programs began before more than a
> very few people could record them, and the tradition of Christmas tv
> shows began before the VCR and DVD.  If anything, having Christmas
> records had very little effect beyond being able to hear them throughout
> the rest of the year when nobody was performing or broadcasting
> Christmas music.  But how many people play them the rest of the year??

There was even a time when radio stations didn't play Christmas music until
(gasp) mid December! By the mid sixties, it would be ONE PER HOUR in the first
week of December, gradually stepped up over the next couple of weeks..on MOR
stations like CFRB. Rockers had far less to choose from other than the
Chipmunks, Brenda Lee, Bobby Helms and the Phil Spector album (which, as I
recall, didn't take off until reissued in the 70s).