[78-L] Christmas Music

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 28 09:39:22 PST 2008

dnjchi at aol.com wrote:
> Jack (and I) were talking about purely secular Christmas songs, ie. e. "Santa Clause Is Coming to Town".

Then why his statement  "I was denied a traditional Christmas
raising."??  When the two of you were young, this WAS a "traditional"
type of celebration.

> "Jingle Bells" is secular, of course, but we were thinking
> of pop songs that hit the Xmas hit parade. Don Chichester

Jingle Bells is not a Christmas song.  It is a Winter song.  When these
songs like "White Christmas" "Rudolph" "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"
etc. started to hit the hit parade they were NON-TRADITIONAL.  Those who
were brought up with these other songs as they were written were being
brought up in a non-traditional way which by now has become a new
tradition.  In both cases I fail to see where having or not having a
phonograph makes a difference.  Jack already said his family had a
radio, and the new songs were added to the holiday music mix all over
radio.  Surviving broadcasts prove it.  "White Christmas" was even
introduced by Bing on radio the year prior to it becoming a hit record.
As each of the earlier songs was written they also were added to the
changing tradition.  There is the often told tale about how Silent Night
was written and became part of the German / Austrian tradition, and it
happens on and on and on.  When the poem "Twas the night before
Christmas" was written it changed tradition, but it was once new.  When
Dickens wrote his Scrooge story it also was new but it became
tradition.  All of these newer traditions were available on records by
the time of your childhood, but they  happened before there was the
phonograph and it happened in spite of the phonograph.  I really think
that radio and live performance had more influence than the phonograph.
The tradition of the Christmas radio programs began before more than a
very few people could record them, and the tradition of Christmas tv
shows began before the VCR and DVD.  If anything, having Christmas
records had very little effect beyond being able to hear them throughout
the rest of the year when nobody was performing or broadcasting
Christmas music.  But how many people play them the rest of the year??

Mike  Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: Michael Biel <mbiel at mbiel.com>