[78-L] Electronic stereo and Schwann

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Sun Dec 28 07:27:56 PST 2008

>> And don't forget that Australian guy, Parker I think, who did that whole
>> series of 20s reissues, some of which came out on the BBC label.
>
>At the risk of having shoes or other objects flung at me, I thought those were
>fabulous. The first ones, at least..then he got lazy.
>
>dl

I agree that the "stereo" effect was less artificial that on most that went before, sometimes bordering on being credible - if Parker had started out with properly EQed transfers instead of RIAA with further treble cut applied (noiseless and colourless) they might have been quite good. As is, most of them need inverse RIAA playback EQ to remove the THICK woollen blanket thrown over the sound, and then you'll of course encounter digital artefacts in the treble range (like with many CDs whose producers suffer from "hiss paranoia" and insist on "silent surface" on pre-tape recordings).

Chris Zwarg