[78-L] Electronic stereo and Schwann

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 28 07:16:18 PST 2008

Slight revision to correct a couple of things from last message.

Michael Biel wrote:
> Chris Zwarg wrote:
>
>> You still occasionally hear these mangled versions on German radio; probably nobody bothered to buy new copies. Some cheapo rip-off CDs have used the fake-stereo masters but *mixed back to mono*!

Not only cheapo CD reissues..RCA mixed the fake stereo masters down for later
mono LP pressings in a couple of horrible instances I encountered, one of them
being Eddie Fisher's Greatest Hits. (Another might have been "Me and Juliet" or
some other early 50s cast album.)

> Those first three Toscanini LMEs were done with
> attention to the score and changes made to make it seem natural
> depending on what instruments were playing.  But the untouched monos
> still sounded better.

Those first Toscanini albums got a rave review in High Fidelity at the time.
I've still never seen a single one of them.

> And don't forget that Australian guy, Parker I think, who did that whole
> series of 20s reissues, some of which came out on the BBC label.

At the risk of having shoes or other objects flung at me, I thought those were
fabulous. The first ones, at least..then he got lazy.