[78-L] Victor's Sunrise label

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 27 12:29:27 PST 2008

Of all the short-lived Victor labels of the early 30s, this is the one I've never
come across. Very occasionally there will be a Timely Tunes, Electradisk, or their
Canadian equivalent Aurora offered on Ebay, but I've never seen a Sunrise disc and
don't really know what the label looks like. I know there's a description of it in Rust's
record label book; is there any example online?

Unlike Timely Tunes or Electradisk, there don't appear to have been any
unique masters on Sunrise, though the possibility of alternate takes exists, as I
suppose it always does. So why did Victor create this label when their standard black
label sales were mediocre and they already had Bluebird?

-Harold