[78-L] Dick Spottswood's Christmas Show, now Hannukah query re:radio

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 21 19:54:06 PST 2008

yves francois wrote:
> first: sorry about the post without my writing on it, guess it had to happen sometime!!
>
>    Now, a question. Is there a place in the web for the Hannukah show, I'm VERY interested in Radio Hannukah,

There is a free on-line trial available.
http://xmro.xmradio.com/xstream/index.jsp
It was a week last year but does not say if it is still that on the main
pages.   They also have on-line subscriptions, but not all the channels
are available on-line.  Radio Chanukah seems to be on Ch 23 on-line.

>  Let me know, I'm interested (but I do not drive a car so XM will not do me many favors).

It doesn't have to be in a car.  In addition to the on-line
subscription, you can get home kits for receivers with a stand, an
antenna that does not really have to be aimed, and an AC adapter.  It
will send RF out to all your FM receivers, or plug it into any amp, the
computer, etc.  While my wife and I have receivers in our cars, I have
one in the house and Leah has one in her apartment.  The two inside ones
are actually portables with internal batteries that can also be used
with headphones.  Since you are in Chicago the signal will be very
strong since they have ground-based transmitters in many major cities.
The three of us mainly use ours to get the America Left/Air America
channel to retain our sanity, but there also is a great series of decade
music channels for the 20s-40s on ch.4, the 50s, the 60s, and then the
worthless decades of the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  Also several classical
channels, talk, news, sports, old time radio, public radio, and more.
Now that American radio is generally worthless, this is a good alternative.

> BTW, I live very incontinently from all forms of public transport in Chicago, but the richness of cultures (and foods) can't be beat (Assyrians, Indian, Pakistani, Serbian, Georgian and so many others all having
>  their storefronts and all living and working in relative harmony). Where else but west Devon avenue can you find potato cakes for under 2 dollars anyways!

Michael Shoshani also lives in that area, so I got to go thru it for the
first time in 20 years when I visited him last year.  There are some
great neighborhoods in NYC and Leah's Brooklyn, and I always try to
visit the Russian CD and video stores in Brighton Beach (and a couple
practically in her neighborhood) and Chinese stores in Chinatown and
Sunset Park right near her.

> Happy Hannukah, Merry Christmas and Solstice to all (and as Bing, the greatest vocalist I ever heard, used to say, "Happy Holidays")
> Yves

As a matter of fact, one of the many Christmas channels on XM is devoted
to Bing's Christmas radio programs.  Regis is hosting it, and they say
they are working with 20 programs.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com