[78-L] Pacific 231, was Leaving negative feedback and variable speed turntable^

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 21 19:13:21 PST 2008

Tyrone Settlemier wrote:
> Yes, on Victor 9276 by "Contenental Symphony Orchestra" directed by Piero
> Coppola.
>
> mx CTR-3389 and CTR 3390.
>
> side one also has the number 45723 in the wax, in Victor's font.  What's
> this number for?
>
> Tyrone

This was Victor adding its own matrix number..they did this on a number of
European recordings, into the mid 30s I believe. No idea why. This confounded a
Gilbert & Sullivan discographer (in an ARSC Journal piece) who believed that
these numbers, into the 70000s by this time, were "if they had ever intended to
use single sided Red Seal catalog numbers"..couldn't explain why.

dl