[78-L] It's all music to me

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 21 17:37:08 PST 2008

David Lennick wrote:
> I'll have to find this for my sister, who for years threw a Christmas Eve
> shindig and played the Elvis album every time.
>
> Michael Biel wrote:
>
>> Right after the Central Time Zone candle lighting, Radio Hannukah played
>> a great Elvis impersonator singing "Blue Ha-Nu-Kah".

I didn't get to the XM fast enough to see the performer's name.  I think
it is the same one who also does a fantastic Nat King Cole "The Hannukah
Song".  Watched D.L. Hughly's CNN comedy show last night when he
commented that since Jews wrote the best Christmas music, like Mel
Torme's "Christmas Song" and Irving Berlin's "White Christmas", he was
commissioning a  Jewish composer to write a Kwanza song.  He had the
composer of "Avenue Q" Jeff Marx do a Kwanza song.  Until I saw how his
name was spelled I was wondering if he was related to that goniff Johnny
Marks who stole Robert L. May's story and spent the rest of his life
pretending the he had invented the character and story of Rudolph the
Red Nosed Reindeer.  But another case of a Jewish composer of Christmas
songs, almost 20 of them.

They're playing a Chipmunks take-off "The Ballad of Mendel Gonzolazs" by
Freddie and the Fro . . ." (that's as far as the display goes).  Just
googled it, Freddie and the Froy Boys, and the Elvis and Nat is not
listed on the CD.  But sampled a Manilow takeoff from it.  There's a
page of Hannukah comedy records  http://www.mistletunes.com/hanukkah.html

> She also foisted the Jingle Cats disc on me (it's carefully hidden away, I
> hope).

When did you start drowning cats?  If I have to hear Christmas songs, I
rather hear them from the Jingle Cats.  Or maybe by a Klezmer band.
However I am in the middle of trying to upload a version of "O Holy
Night" that will end Christmas songs forever.  It is the RCA Victor
Personal from 1929 of a 12 year old boy.  Oy vey.

> One year she also played "Pachelbel's Greatest Hit" and my father turned
> to me and said "Where did we go wrong?"

Shoulda made a left turn at Albuquerque.
> Happy Harmonicas, y'all!  dl

Likewise, I'm sure.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com