[78-L] Correct EQ curve for acoustics 78s?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Dec 18 19:41:44 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pablo Varela" <pablovarela73 at yahoo.com.ar>
> Hello all, here is another question.
> Many phono preamp manual saids that acoustic or pre-ortophonic 78s may be
> played "flat"; but another tables indicates that 800-12.7 or 630-12 is the
> correct way to playback this record. I often recived mp3 archives taken
> from those sources and I try with both option and taking care, both sounds
> correct. What is the correct option?

Acoustically-recorded records did NOT use a standard "curve!" Their
equalization was entirely
dependent on the acoustic characteristics of the recording horn...as well as
the mechanism
used to play them...!

Even earlier electric recordings did NOT use a specific curve...tone
controls were
individually adjusted for each recording, and actual characteristics were
dependent
on control settings which are no longer of any use to-day...!

...stevenc