[78-L] Wow/flutter, was Re: Cambridge Process

Doug Pomeroy pomeroyaudio at att.net
Thu Dec 18 14:39:14 PST 2008

Hi,

Yes, Howarth's process looks at the bias frequency on tape, and often
he does this playing the tape at half speed.   With audio from disc
sources he is sometimes able to find other frequencies to track, such
as cutter turntable rumble, which can sometimes be multiplied and
used for pitch correction.  And, as you say, the sources must be the
original recordings, not copies.

Wow and flutter which is perfectly regular can often be corrected, once
the period of the fluctuation has be identified.  I have worked with two
mathematicians who can create algorithms for such jobs  -  Kevin Short,
who worked with Howarth on the recently discovered wire recording by
Woody Guthrie, and Dimitri Antsos, of Cal Tech, who has done work for
me on problem audio from metal part transfers.

Programs developed to correct off-pitch singers (AutoTune and Melodyne
from Celemony) require a monophonic input signal, where only one
instrument or voice is heard, sounding only a single note. However there
will be a new version of Melodyne which is said to overcome this
limitation
in some cases.

I'm told one of the audio restoration programs (Sound Forge?) includes
a graph on which a line can be drawn which will effect a corresponding
correction of pitch.  I assume using this would require much trial
and error,
and might work for gradual pitch changes over time, but not for very
rapid
ones.

Doug Pomeroy
POMEROY AUDIO