[78-L] Cantor/Jolson films in the MGM/FOX - A report

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 13:28:43 PST 2008

I remember the print used for the MGM DVD of Hallelujah I'm a Bum to be
fairly good, given that it was UA and was probably from the best source
still in existence.

I also saw Whoopee at the Regency Theatre in New York (Cantor's grandson
introduced the film and we spoke afterwards) and the color was very good for
1930 two-strip. The negative of this is long gone and the film was
considered lost when Goldwyn's personal print turned up, in excellent shape.
This is one of my favorite early sound films - a literal presentation of a
1920's Broadway show with Busby Berkeley choreography.

I am anxious to see the condition of the prints in the Fox collection of
Murnau and Borzage films. It is a real pity that the Grandeur version (70MM)
of Song O' My Heart is gone. Fox really blew the 70MM release of The Big
Trail - the sound of the widescreen version is horrible. The print run at
the Museum of Modern Art has excellent sound.

Jeff Sultanof