[78-L] Cantor/Jolson films in the MGM/FOX - A report

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Dec 17 12:44:24 PST 2008

David Lennick wrote:
> I bought Hallelujah I'm A Bum as a single DVD about 5 years ago and as I
> recall, the print looked fine. So this is hardly its first release. But at the
> time I was amazed that there wasn't even an insert.
>
> dl

I have the MGM LaserDisc of "Hallelujah I'm A Bum" that William A. Brent
mentions he has, ML 205877 by the way,  and I remember it looking and
sounding OK.  There is a little bit of liner notes that I can scan for
you if you are interested.  There's more space for things on a 12-inch
square package.  By the way, this film is not to be missed.   It is a
minor masterpiece, quite different from any other Jolson film and from
most American films  for that matter.  It is almost an operetta.  I
think it is one of the most overlooked films of the depression era.  I'd
never had a chance to see it untill I luckily found the LD on closeout.
It was not available for very long.  It came out in 1997.

Since William has a 16mm print of "Hallelujah I'm A Tramp", I've always
wondered if there were any differences other than the title card.  The
discographies say that the British 78, Brunswick 01507, only had the
title on the label changed and that the record still used the regular
matrix B-12671-A where Jolson still sang "Bum".  (That must have still
kept it off of the BBC.  It wouldn't bother the modern BBC -- they show
naked bums on TV all the time there.  I remember the time when I was
watching a live performance of Rigoletto from the Royal Opera House on
the BBC at 7PM on a Saturday evening and there was full frontal (and
rear) total male and female nudity in the opening party scene.  And you
should have seen the goings on during the Quartette.)

Mike (yes I was taping the Rigoletto, and yes it is also out on dvd)
Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com