[78-L] Cantor/Jolson films in the MGM/FOX - A report

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 17 09:34:33 PST 2008

Has anyone compared the "Whopee!" DVD with the HBO tape? It's true that
slightly
different standards are needed for judging the quality of 2-colour
Tech...some of the
early talkie short subjects that TCM runs, like "Crazy House", have very
warm and
attractive colours while others, like "Kiddie Follies", are really faded.
Does "Whoopee!"
just look like normal 2-colour Tech or is it really a sub-standard transfer?

---------
I saw WHOOPEE! at the Regency Theater in NY some 20 years ago and the print
was great - vivid and colorful, with both Overture and exit music attached
to the print itself - I was quite disappointed with the VHS issue to find
that extra music was missing.

Dave W.