[78-L] An English Decca query

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Dec 16 19:48:01 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold Aherne" <leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com>
> Much thanks! I had sort of guessed it to be a special series (whether it
> ultimately
> came to fruition or not), but it's good to have confirmation.
>
> Speaking of international series, how widely were Decca established
> before 1940 or so? The label existed in the Netherlands, the U.S. and
> Canada,
> of course, but did they have branches elsewhere in Europe? I know they had
> an agreement
> with DG/Polydor from about 1932, so their masters may have appeared on
> those labels
> (or perhaps Brunswick?). Around the same time the English labels begin to
> say
> "Fabriqué en Angleterre" at the bottom, which might suggest they were
> exported,
> although I'm really not certain.

IIRC, there was NO direct connection between the worldwide Decca label
and its North American counterpart; US Decca material was issued in the
UK (and probably elsewhere in Europe?!) on the Brunswick label. I think
the UK operation did assist with funding the North American operation...
which started as a way for Jack Kapp to use his Brunswick(US) artists
on a new, more affordable record label! IIRC, there were local Decca
labels in many European lands (and colonies in other continents...?!)...?!

...stevenc