[78-L] earliest recorded fon call

James Tennyson jtennyson at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 16 16:44:20 PST 2008

I think the Telescribe was a combination of the two technologies. Pictures I
have seen of it  in use have a box about six inches square upon which one
set the telephone receiver...remember this was in the day of the candlestick
telephone. One spoke into the telephone transmitter as usual and one
listened by means of a small earphone which was attached to the unit.  The
control box  was  attached another unit which  was attached to the acoustic
recorder of the Ediphone. I presume the main unit consisted of a sensitive
carbon microphone..(.somewhat like the Acousticon..the first electronic
hearing aid )   the earpiece for the one making the call and an  earphone
like unit which attached the dictating machine. There would of course be no
electronic amplification, merely the volume provided by the microphone and
it's battery.   At least this is what I suspect. There is the possibility
that the unit attached to the dictating machine could have been a magnetic
recorder,that is to say the diaphragm of the earphone could have been
connected to a recording stylus, but I somehow doubt it, and the article
I've linked below would seem to support my suspicion .    I've seen a
publicity pic of Thomas Edison using the device at his desk in the library
at West Orange.
If this link works it's the New York Times article about the introduction of
the device.
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9C00E6DB1338E633A25757C2A9639C946496D6CF

Message: 14