[78-L] earliest recorded fon call Hello Hawaii How Are You!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Dec 12 20:04:36 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
>>> The official technical description of ANY use
>>> of Morse code by radio was "Wireless Telegraph".
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>> Nope...you lost a "Y!" Code transmission (which, BTW, uses
>> the "International" code, not the Morse code...!) is regarded by
>> the FCC as "wireless telegraphY" or mode "A1" (voice is "A3!").
> There was no FCC around in the teens and 20s, so your mode designations
> are anachronisms. (And isn't A1 Continuous Wave or CW?  That wasn't
> often used in 1915.)
Possibly...particularly since much "wireless telegraphy" still used "spark
gap"
systems in those early years...! In fact, "Wireless telephony" was first
used
in (IIRC) 1906, when Reginald Fessenden (A Canadian!) used a high-
frequency "alternator" (AC generator) to provide the "carrier wave" for
his experiments in radio-telephony...amazing a few listeners with his
broadcast
of Christmas carols...!

> I understand that you make telephony calls and
> once in a while you used to receive a telegraphy from Western Union.
> The SYSTEMS (and the USE of the systems) are called telegraphy,
> telephony, wireless telegraphy, and wireless telephony; but the DEVICES
> are called The Telegraph, The Telephone, The Wireless Telegraph, and the
> Wireless Telephone.

Agreed...nonetheless, as you yourself point out, the "Y" ending covers the
practice...and the "E" (or none) describes any messages received thereby!
Thus, back when I was KN9JOO, I used "wireless telegraphy" (in fact, I
was a strictly-CW "ham!") to transmit information...!

BTW, "CW" stands for "continuous wave" because code transmission
consists of an interrupted (to match International Code...!) carrier wave
controlled by one's "key!"

And "Morse Code," developed for use in electrical telegraphy, is
different from "International Code"...particularly with respect to
numerals...!

In fact, back in 1949, I used to be a friend and sometime observer
of the chap who was the station agent...and thus telegrapher...of the
RR Station in Waynesville, Illinois! RR "telegraphy" used the Morse
code...the primary difference is/was in how numbers were represented!

...stevenc