[78-L] earliest recorded fon call Hello Hawaii How Are You!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Dec 11 22:35:25 PST 2008

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> Nope...you lost a "Y!" Code transmission (which, BTW, uses
> the "International" code, not the Morse code...!) is regarded by
> the FCC as "wireless telegraphY" or mode "A1" (voice is "A3!").

There was no FCC around in the teens and 20s, so your mode designations
are anachronisms. (And isn't A1 Continuous Wave or CW?  That wasn't
often used in 1915.)   I understand that you make telephony calls and
once in a while you used to receive a telegraphy from Western Union.
The SYSTEMS (and the USE of the systems) are called telegraphy,
telephony, wireless telegraphy, and wireless telephony; but the DEVICES
are called The Telegraph, The Telephone, The Wireless Telegraph, and the
Wireless Telephone.

I have three books here: "The ABC of Wireless Telegraphy" from 1904,
"Wireless Telegraphy and Wireless Telephony" from 1915, and "Elements of
Radio Telephony" from 1923.  The 1904 book illustrates the Morse
Telegraph Alphabet on page 77 in the midst of discussing some
transmission systems in use in England and Bavaria, so the International
Code was apparently not yet in use.  The 1915 book illustrates both the
Morse and Continental codes on page 98 and 99, and on pages 102 and 103
explains: "There are two Codes in general use for wireless telegraph
purposes, the Morse and Continental.  . . .  Atlantic coastwise steamers
use the Morse code; transatlantic ships use the Continental code."  Note
that there is no "y" at the end of "wireless telegraph" in the first
sentence.  Likewise, in the third book they also use both forms of the
words, sometimes in the same paragraph.  For example on page 4: "The
operation of radio or wireless telephone systems requires corresponding
units . . ." and "Thus for radio telephony the battery will be replaced
by a high frequency current generator . . ." in the same paragraph.

> (for whatever reason, most of us "hams"
> were guys, NOT gals...?!)

Actually the reason you thought there were no female amateurs is that
they are not called gals, they are YLs or XYLs.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com