[78-L] ebay gripes

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Dec 12 19:18:56 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Ken Matheson wrote:
>>      Ebay has seemed to have turned into a tool for commercial purposes.
>> With all the regulations they have it seems to be no linger a garage sale
>> for the world. But still I find many of the 78 sellers are totally
>> amateurish.
!!!  They ARE amateurs!  While there are some established
> record dealers/record collectors, many are not record collectors but are
> garage sale goers who buy all sorts of assorted stuff for the sole
> purpose of selling them on e-bay.  They no nothing about any of the
> different types of items.  They no nothing of the value of these
> things.  If it cost them a dime or a dollar they figure they can get at
> least two or three bucks if it sells.  If it doesn't sell it goes into
> the next garage sale they hold themselves or they take a tax deduction
> at Goodwill.  They don't know how to pack records because they are at
> the level of packing salt and pepper shakers.  Take a look at what else
> they are selling or what else they have sold in the recent past.

Worse yet, eBay has DEvolved into an all-too-typical sample of the
XXI Jahrhundert...a decade typified by "Gordon Gekko's" "Greed is
GOOD!" (an effective slogan of the world's right wing, although they
will probably deny it...?!).

The effective idea of eBay and its ilk is this: BUY possibly-collectable
items at yard sales, thrift stores (or simply STEAL them when no one
is looking...?!) or find them on your local garbage-pick-up day...! Then,
offer them on eBay (et all) for several hundred times what you paid
for them...thus enabling one to survive without actually having to WORK
(aka "expend personal effort"...?!) to finance one's survival!

BTW, this is EXACTLY why I hope we are entering "Great Depression--
The Sequel!" Nothing would make me happier than watching the "Nouveau
Riche II" suddenly not only unable to afford the payments on their BMW...
but also unable to afford living indoors and/or eating regularly...!

BTW, been there & done that, trying to survive on the Ontario (Canada)
"cripples' pension!!"

The inherent slogan of the XXI Jahrhundert might best be exemplified
as "Money isn't everything...it's the ONLY thing!!"{

SCROOM!!!

...stevenc