[78-L] Charlie & His Orchestra

Birgit Lotz Verlag Birgit-Lotz-Verlag at gmx.de
Wed Dec 10 06:06:37 PST 2008

The thread:
(1) A copy of the Charlie and his Orchestra Nazi propaganda record of
"You're Driving Me Crazy" just came into my possession, and I noticed
that the label includes a prominent Francis Day "London - Paris -
Berlin" copyright stamp.  Other "Charlie" records also carried these
insigniae.  Am I to understand that during and after the London Blitz,
the Germans submitted royalty payments along with their bombs?   -Brad Kay
(2) Yes.  They were very efficient. - Mike Biel
(3) I suspect they were imported into the UK after the war and had the
copyright stamp put on then. It was probably illegal to import them
otherwise.- Julian Vein

Brad and Mike are right, Julian is wrong. The WWII propaganda war was
indeed weird:

(1)	In the UK and the US German composers lost their rights and
Anglo-Americans could put their own names under works by German
composers. Perhaps best known is the case of Lili Marleen, published and
distributed in the US by Chappell & Co "in the Public Interest with the
consent of the Alien Property Custodian under License No. E-80" -- Mack
David obtained such a licence (as did 50 others) -- and it cost them only
15 dollars. I am not sure how much Phil Park had to pay (if anything at
all) for publishing this song in the UK under his name. The Germans
(music: Schultze, lyrics: Leip) never saw a cent/penny, not even after
the war. (cf. Lili Marleen an allen Fronten: Bear Family)
(2)	The Charlie records were also distributed to radio stations outside
Germany (i.e. neutral countries and occupied countries). Although the
records had no label or company name in order to obscure their origins,
the broadcasters would have to pay royalties to the original
Anglo-American composers, lyricists and publishers. That's why the discs
normally show the royalty details imprinted on the labels (no stickers
or stamps). So, yes, the Germans delivered both their bombs AND the
royalties, even though the tampered propaganda versions were obviously
not authorised. Unless I am mistaken, this was done by way of neutral
Switzerland. The authors of the English language propaganda lyrics
remained anonymous (one exception being Norman Baillie-Stewart), and no
royalties were paid to them. (cf. Hitler's Airwaves: Yale University Press)
(3)	Of course the records were never officially exported to England, not
during and not after the war. John R. T. Davies told me that he found
some as a young soldier when stationed in occupied Vienna, and that he
was told that the Russian brothers-in-arms threatened a death penalty on
the possession of such discs. (I can't believe it, but that's what he
remembered).
(4)	An American unit searched the Hanover pressing plant of Deutsche
Grammophon on 10 April 1945. All they found were Charlie labels as the
German workers had hastily destroyed most of the remaining stock of
discs. The Americans then danced to Brunswick pressings of American jazz
records which had been banned by the Nazis but kept hidden by the
workers. Later the factory was visited by British units specialized in
confiscating patents and equipment (some members of this particular unit
were actually employees of HMV). Another British unit DID find press
shells or metals and ordered the Germans to press discs of all the
propaganda records they could find while being guarded by Military
Police. An officer then listened through the entire batch and prepared a
report about his findings. This report, unfortunately, seems to have
been lost (cf 100 Jahre Schallplatte catalog: Historisches Museum Hannover)

Rainer

--
Dr. Rainer E. Lotz
Birgit Lotz Verlag