[78-L] Puckett & McMichen on a Race Record?

Gregg Kimball gdkimball at cox.net
Wed Dec 10 04:42:55 PST 2008

Malcolm,

This is intriguing.  I checked Wayne Daniel's book Pickin' on Peachtree, but
no mention of Puckett and MvMichen recording with her.  Puckett and McMichen
were familiar with the material.  According to Daniel, they performed "St.
Louis Blues" on radio as members of the Home Town Boys, a group that
broacast over WSB Atlanta from 1922 to 1926. McMichen led the group, and, as
was his style, mixed old-time material with popular and jazz numbers.
Puckett also recorded a few solo sides that are decidedly bluesy.

We know what McMichen and Puckett sounded like together in that period.
What does the aural evidence tell you?

Gregg