[78-L] Cataloguing software, and necessary data fields

Tom Hood thood at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 9 11:17:33 PST 2008

Hi All
When I started my catalogue about 20 years ago it was in a DOS program
called PC File.It gave me the opportunity to set up as many fields as I
wanted.After several experiments I found that multiple fields gave quick
reference but required high maintenance.I settled for three.Catalogue
number,Artist or subject name & a description file (selections,disc
numbers....any other details). I found if I wanted listing on any specific
topic...artist,orchestra.titles
there was search function that would dig for those details.
It was not a fast as using multiple fields but since I did not need those
details very often it worked
I now have 20000 entries in this base & I have no complaints.My point is
before you set up a complicated data base ask yourself how often will I need
this information, will the additional work of entering it in separate fields
be worth it?
Tom Hood