[78-L] Most Prized Record(s)

Peter Fraissinet pf13 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 8 21:13:23 PST 2008

I always tell people I have no favorites of anything.  But what I really
mean is "how can I be expected to choose?"  Well, there are a few discs I
pull out more than all the others and would not trade except in
extremis.  I guess that makes them "most prized."  Some would be called
classics in their genre, but these are all records that affect me
greatly.  There are even a few post-war!  If I escaped with any one of
these when the house is on fire, I would feel I made a good choice.  In no
particular order:

Perry County Music Makers: Got A Buddy I Must See / By The Cottage Door
Vocalion 5443

Stripling Brothers: The Big Footed Nigger In The Sandy Lot / The Lost Child
Vocalion 5321

Carter Brothers & Son: Miss Brown / Jenny On The Railroad
Vocalion 5297

Delma Lachney / Blind Uncle Gaspard: Baoille / Assi Dans La Fenetre De Ma
Chambre
Vocalion 5280

Alfred G. Karnes: I Am Bound For the Promised Land / Where We'll Never Grow Old
Victor 20840

Andrew & Jim Baxter: Bamalong Blues / K.C. Railroad Blues
Victor 20962

B.F. Shelton: Darling Cora / Pretty Polly
Victor 35838

Scottdale String Band: Aunt Hager's Blues / Southern Blues
OKeh 45074

Narmour & Smith: Texas Breakdown / Mississippi Breakdown
OKeh 45492

Newton County Hill-Billies: Nine O'Clock Breakdown / Give Me A Bottle Of I
Don't Care What
OKeh 45544

Arizona Dranes: John Said He Saw A Number / My Soul Is A Witness For The Lord
OKeh 8352

Carter Family: There'll Be No Distinction There / You've Got To Righten
That Wrong
OKeh 05982

Bill Chitwood & Bud Landress: Hen Cackle / Whoa, Mule
Brunswick 2811

Floyd [Hoyt] Ming & His Pep Steppers: Indian War Whoop / Old Red
Bluebird B-5195

Ted Hawkins & Riley Puckett: Kimball House / Hop Light Ladies
Bluebird B-5514

Armstrong Twins: Mother's Only Sleeping / I Know My Daddy's There
4 Star 1244/1293

W.C. Elkins & His Dextra Singers: The Downward Road Is Crowded / Ride On Moses
QRS R-7066

Uncle Bunt Stephens: Louisburg Blues / Sail Away Lady
Columbia 15071-D

Clarence  Ashley: Dark Holler Blues / The Coo-Coo Bird
Columbia 15489-D

Ira & Eugene Yates: Powder And Paint / Sarah Jane
Columbia 15581-D

Delmore Brothers: Got The Kansas City Blues / Alabama Lullaby
Columbia 15724-D

Brother Claude Ely: There Ain't No Grave Gonna Hold My Body Down / Talk
About Jesus
King 1311