[78-L] Cataloguing software, and necessary data fields

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 8 19:59:31 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Davies" <SDavies at mtroyal.ca>
> Folks,
>        can anyone recommend a good cataloguing software for my record
> collection?
>        Now that I've passed #200 in my acquisition of 78's (total worth
> approx. $15, I suppose), and as I speculate on getting a home computer to
> dub and clean up the sound, it's time to think of something better than
> the MS-Excel spreadsheet that I've been using to record my holdings.
>        I don't want to use an online service, but I'm interested in
> knowing if anyone subscribes to one for this purpose, and what they think
> of it.
>        Which data fields are required for entry for each side?  Here's my
> guess:
>
> Personal inventory # * Artist * Song title * Composer / Lyricist * Mx# *
> Label * Label # * Recording date * Release date ??? * Condition * Notes (a
> catch all field) *

A LOT more than that! I use MS Access, and created a three-level relational
database...IIRC, as follows:

RECORDS: ID No/Label/Catalog Number/Date Acquired/Price/Where Acquired/
Remarks

SIDES: ID No/SideNo/Title/Sort Title (no Caps, no punctuation/Artist Credit/
Actual Artist/Composer Credit/Music Type/RecDate/IssueDate/Condition/
Damage/Remarks

TRACKS: SideNo/Artist Credit/Actual Artist/Title/Sort Title/Composer
Credit/Remarks

There are actually a lot more I use, but I don't currently have access to my
Access database...!

...stevenc