[78-L] Mascagni

Steve Abrams steve.abrams at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 10:47:27 PST 2008

This doesn't make a great deal of sense, Al.  Mascagni may have slowed down
(on this particular recording).  But you have forgotten that Toscanini
increased his tempos as he grew old!

Also, there is a well known live recording of Cavalleria also conducted by
Mascagni in connection with the 50th anniversary. The tempos in this
performance are faster than those on the complete set.  Also, the tempos in
the recording of L'Amico Fritz a year later are quite sprightly.

It should be added, however, that Mascagni enjoyed himself hugely in making
his recording of Cavalleria.

Zucker has recently circulated Gino Bechi's memories of the recording
sessions:

With his magical baton in his hand, Mascagni let himself fly on the wings of
music, to a better world, where discs, clocks and commercial necessity
didn't exist; he laughed at technical needs....He put on a pair of new shoes
that at his smallest movement went cri-cri, causing the session to come to a
halt. The producer said to him, "Excuse me, Maestro, but you know that every
outside noise gets recorded, and your shoes are creaking. So as not to ruin
the recording, you need to try to stand still."

"What, my shoes," responded Mascagni. "The cri-cri isn't good? That's what
you think! I'm adding it to the orchestra as a supplementary sound. We're in
the country, and in the country the sounds of crickets are a good thing."...

When we recorded the duet with Bruna Rasa, we sang the first take really
well, synchronised--fused with the orchestra--a masterpiece. When the last
note finished we were waiting for the red light to go off, when Mascagni
exclaimed, "Bravi, benissimo, I'm really happy"--and he clapped his hands
like a child. We had to do it over again.
After we had repeated the thing a zillion times for musical reasons or
because the wax of the matrix broke, we thought we finally had brought it
into port when, with the red light still lit, Mascagni declared, "Obviously
we've got it"--and everything was ruined. [Translated from Daniele Rubboli:
Gino Bechi: il palcoscenico e la vita (Bologna: Bongiovanni Editore, 1988),
p. 100ff.]

Perhaps I should add that the Naxos transfer of Cavalleria on two CDs is
filled out with a number of examples of orchestra music conducted by
Mascagni.

I find Mike Richter's comments to be ignorant and arrogant. Richter says
that Mascagni's records (from the '30s and '40s are too primitive "to
indicate much if anything."  This does not stop him from drawing conclusions
about
Caruso and Leoncavallo (on piano) performing together in 1904.

Richter asserts there is dispute about whether Mascagni actually conducted
the recording of Cavalleria.   This reminds me of his preposterous claim in
another place that much of the premiere of Turandot in April, 1926 was
recorded.  He says "The boxes were mismarked and the matrices were
destroyed."  He also asserts wrongly that none of the principals ever
recorded anything from the opera which has survived.

For the record, there were live recordings of excerpts from Turandot at La
Scala in November 1926 and these were issued.  (Four choruses conducted by
Panizza.) The soprano Zamboni recorded both of her arias, and two of the
three creators of "Pang" and "Pong", Nessi and Venturini recorded the long
trio with Baracchi (who sang the Mandarin at the premiere.

Steve Abrams

Message: 13