[78-L] Matrix numbers (was: Vaughn Meader and Sam Goody)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Dec 5 21:10:58 PST 2008

> Second, it often appears on the label...usually in parentheses.
> or otherwise made "less important" than the record's "catalogue
> number!" US Victor records usually do NOT show their matrix
> number!
>
> ...stevenc
You are right -- we have been very confusing here to newbies since we
have been talking about LPs in this thread, not 78s.  The earliest
Victor 78s do have their matrix numbers before around 1905 or so, and
then again in 1928 for some unknown reason.  Other than that, until the
post-war years, the engraved numbers are the record numbers.  The take
numbers were usually at the 9 o'clock position until the tape mastering
years, and then the dash S numbers took over, usually indicating a tape
transfer number.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com