[78-L] Frigidaire, Vaughn Meadera nd Tina Fey

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Fri Dec 5 20:55:43 PST 2008

> A friend and I have argued about this for years. He insists the word is
"Frigidaire," a reference to the refrigerator. I've always believed it was
"frigid air."

> "I've stocked my heart with icy, frigid air."
>
> Randy
>
> Randy, I  can tell you  absolutely  I believe the song refers  simply to
the brand name refrigerator because  it is  what  I grew up  hearing anytime
a reference was made to the box  powered by  electric (or gas) was
mentioned.   My paternal Grandmother's first  and  evermore refrigerators
from the time  she  no longer had an Ice Box was always  a gas powered
Servel refrigerator,  it was always referred to as the "Frigidaire" My
maternal Grandmother had a real  Ice Box, with  daily deliveries of ice
until after  World War II, when she got a genuine Frigidaire refrigerator
and to her dying day, more than 30 years later,  always referred to it as
the "Ice Box".  And to reinforce  my belief, I recall seeing the sheet
music, my Father had a small band and  seemingly every song  published  and
the word   was spelled Frigidaire.

And to bring this  back to slightly on topic----------? Anyone see Letterman
the other night when he had Tina Fey  as a guest and asked her if she
thought her  celebrity from her  Sarah Palin impersonation had boosted her
careet, her  immediate  reply was  to ask if he remembered Vaughn Meader!
Jim Whipkey