[78-L] Record playing speed

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Dec 3 09:48:31 PST 2008

> David Lennick wrote:
>
>> Yup..24 RPM. I have several discs at this speed.
>> dl

Which reminds me of ANOTHER standard!  Theodore Edison was developing an
extra long playing disc in 1927-29 for broadcasting use that ran at 30
RPM.   Each rotation was exactly 2 seconds. It was threaded at 300 per
inch.  Each minute  was 1/10 - inch.  Ten minutes per geooving inch.
The arms would have a micrometer dial to allow cueing by time.  He also
experimented with slower speeds of 16 and 12 RPM.  I think the August
12, 1927 phonograph anniversary broadcast was recorded at that speed.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com