[78-L] CD playing speed

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Dec 3 09:27:54 PST 2008

P G C wrote:
> So the question changes:
>
> Which would be the standard 1X tangential speed?

I think it is more understandable if you use the terms "rotational
speed" and "linear speed".  In addition to the formats already
discussed, there were two systems used for LaserDiscs, CAV and CLV.  The
long play mode was CLV which was Constant Linear Velocity, which meant
the speed of the reading was constant as the rotational speed changed to
meet the changing reading diameter.  CAV was Constant Angular Velocity
where the rotational speed was constant and provided one full video
frame per revolution.  (Freeze Frame was easy -- just keep the laser in
place!) You look at those discs and you can see the placement of each
scanning line and where the two frame interlaces are, with them
radiating out from the center to the rim in straight lines at a
V-angle.  That's why they used the name including the word Angle.  But
that is confusing for anything but LaserDiscs, so that should be
discussed as "constant rotational speed" for other systems.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com