[78-L] Record playing speed ^

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 3 09:18:55 PST 2008

Michael Biel wrote:
> In the 1930s, while the American talking books ran at 33 1/3
> using the RCA Program Transcription grooving until microgroove came
> along in 1948, in England there was another speed in the 40s, I
> believe.

Yup..24 RPM. I have several discs at this speed. I found an article in a 30s
issue of Gramophone (which I no longer have) which pointed out that this was
the lowest speed that could be managed on what would likely have to be a
spring-wound machine, since electricity still wasn't available to many users.