[78-L] unidentified male vocal quartets & duos

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 1 21:22:55 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <zimrec at juno.com>
> Is there anyone who can identify the individuals who make up the following
> male vocal groups.  The first two are identified on the labels as Vocal
> Quartette Male Voices:
> Col. A371 - My Old Kentucky Home (mx 4351)
> Col. A448 - Night Trip To Bufdfalo (mx 458-7)
> Col. A5745 - Ring Out Wild Bells (as by Grace Kerns and Male Quartette (mx
> 37435)
>
> Lastly, a record on the Columbia Dance Record label.  I've never
> previously seen this variety of Columbia label.  Once side has "Dixie" by
> Baritone and Tenor Duet (mx 1777-4).  The reverse is "The One-Step,"
> otherwise without credit (mx 32375-3).  Around the lower circumference is
> COLUMBIA GRAPHAPHONE COMPANY New York / London.  Other than that, almost
> the entire lower portion of the label is taken up by a lengthy legend that
> begins: "This record is an example of Columbia recording and is offered to
> you only through a special arrangement with the newspaper under the
> conditions advertised. ..."  There is no identification which newspaper(s)
> were authorized to make this offer.  So, in addition to identifying the
> pair of vocalists, I'm curious as to the history of this newspaper
> arrangement.

The first two are almost certainly by one of the VERY early male
quartets...American? Peerless?
Identification will involve close listening...! The third is c.1920(+/-) and
again could be ANY
of the male quartets of the era (now including "Shannon!").

As far as the final item...the "male quartet" side is VERY early
(c.1903-04); this was a
c.1915-6 promotion which ensued after record firms realized that their
customers were
taking their discs home and DANCING to them! I also own one of these
discs...the
idea seems to be that one could purchase a record...in fact, a "DANCE"
record,
including instructions on how to perform the dance...using a coupon in a
newspaper
ad...?!

...stevenc