[78-L] unidentified male vocal quartets & duos

zimrec at juno.com zimrec at juno.com
Mon Dec 1 08:29:51 PST 2008

Is there anyone who can identify the individuals who make up the following male vocal groups.  The first two are identified on the labels as Vocal Quartette Male Voices:

Col. A371 - My Old Kentucky Home (mx 4351)
Col. A448 - Night Trip To Bufdfalo (mx 458-7)

Col. A5745 - Ring Out Wild Bells (as by Grace Kerns and Male Quartette (mx 37435)

Lastly, a record on the Columbia Dance Record label.  I've never previously seen this variety of Columbia label.  Once side has "Dixie" by Baritone and Tenor Duet (mx 1777-4).  The reverse is "The One-Step," otherwise without credit (mx 32375-3).  Around the lower circumference is COLUMBIA GRAPHAPHONE COMPANY New York / London.  Other than that, almost the entire lower portion of the label is taken up by a lengthy legend that begins: "This record is an example of Columbia recording and is offered to you only through a special arrangement with the newspaper under the conditions advertised. ..."  There is no identification which newspaper(s) were authorized to make this offer.  So, in addition to identifying the pair of vocalists, I'm curious as to the history of this newspaper arrangement.

Art