[78-L] Story of the Lp

S&R Pinsker spinsker at erols.com
Mon Dec 1 19:07:48 PST 2008

"I have here in my hand", well actually next
to the computer, the physically oldest LP in
my collection; ML4004, Serkin playing the Emperor w. Bruno Walter and
the NY Philh.
Its in a thin paper jacket open at the top.
The bottom of the label reads: LONG PLAYING * MICROGROOVE in caps.
Where I have typed an * there is the circle
with Lp in it.
On both the disc and jacket Columbia, Masterworks and the twin circle
mike and
musical notes are identified as Trade Marks, Reg U.S. Pat Off. and the
Lp in a circle just
as "Trade Mark"

My very dim recollection is that the men
marching in parades in my childhood were identified as veterans of
either the Spanish-American War or the World War. Yes, I'm
that old, and there were even a few Civil War
vets, riding, not marching. The term I have
not seen here so far is: "The war to end all
wars".
Bob Pinsker