[78-L] Story of the LP (sic)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 1 09:09:12 PST 2008

DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> By the same token, from what I recall of the few years I spent on this planet before 1948 and from any record related items from that period that I've read, no record was referred to as a "78" before 1948.  So, as I've alluded to in previous postings, this is also the 60th anniversary of the "78".   db

Apparently none of those years you spent on this planet before 1948 were
spent as a broadcaster,  because since at least 1929 they routinely had
to determine whether any disk smaller than 16-inches was a 33 or 78.

And while I am at it, while I hate to beat an old horse, I have noticed
that where ever Columbia uses a typeface with serifs, the "p" in "Lp" or
"Long playing" is configured as a lower-case letter, not a lowered
upper-case letter.  Look on the labels that use quote marks around the
Lp, as in X"Lp" on 12-inchers or "Lp" on 10-inchers.  While the stamped
letters in the vinyl are all caps, and so is the matrix lettering on the
label when the quote marks are not used, that is a lower case p.
Another example is found on the rear cover of CL 670 "Now We Know
Series".  The first three records listed that are on different speeds
including Lp.  The others are indicated as 78 rpm and 45 rpm, but the 33
is indicated as "Lp".  Compare the p in "Lp" and the p in rpm, and the
upper-case P in the record title Put Your Finger In The Air.   The same
holds true on the inner-sleeve for the 10th anniversary where they show
the photos of needle wear and how to put the records on the changer and
in the sleeve and cleaning it.  At the bottom of the sleeve are four
bullet points.  Compare the p in "Creators of the Long playing record"
with the two p's in "Originators of packaged Hi-Fi Phonographs".  This
is a sans-serif typeface but it is OBVIOUS that the P in Phonographs is
very different from the two p's in playing and packaged.   Also note in
the paragraph next to the photo of the records on a shelf that they
refer to  Extended Play records with an upper-case P.  That they refer
to Long playing records with a lower case p shows that they are doing so
in a way to confirm their trademarked way of referring to their system
trademark

Thus Columbia never intended their system to be called an LP,  Long
Playing, or long playing, it was always to be Lp or Long playing.
Upper- case L, lower-case p.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com