[78-L] Columbia 647

Tbroo at aol.com Tbroo at aol.com
Sun Nov 30 09:18:21 PST 2008

John,
I wrote an article about this for the ARSC Journal in 2000, which can  be
viewed on my website _www.timbrooks.net_ (http://www.timbrooks.net) . dl is
correct that  recording dates are not known for Columbia records of this period,
certainly not  individual takes, but by various evidence we can narrow things
down a bit.

The cylinder version of the Florodora Sextette (31604) came out in the late
spring or early summer of 1901, and the disc (647) is apparently from
c.January  1902. However the most common disc take, take 6, is from a later period and
 contains different female singers than the early takes. If there were indeed
 actresses from the show on this disc I believe they were only on the early
takes  (10" -2 and -5 are known; does anybody have others?). Take 6 is often
reissued  as by "The Florodora Girls" but I believe it is actually by studio
singers, for  reasons spelled out in the article.

Frank C. Stanley, who was one of the male singers, was the  announcer.

Incidentally, this record (disc and cylinder) created quite a novelty by
reproducing more of the "stage effect" than most recordings of show music, and
was a huge seller. Columbia claimed that at one point they considered stopping
production of all other recordings so they could concentrate their full
manufacturing capabilities on meeting demand for it.
Tim B.