[78-L] Bob Wilber in San Diego

soundthink at aol.com soundthink at aol.com
Sun Nov 30 09:09:20 PST 2008

Just came back from the 29th Annual San Diego Dixieland Jazz Festival and was able to say hi to Bob Wilber, who was performing with the Statesmen of Jazz. Wilber is 80 now but has lost absolutely nothing of that marvelous tone and Bix-like selection of notes he is famous for. Bob brought his curved bell soprano sax and played that and clarinet. A three-reed line of Wilber, Pieter Meijers and Antti Sarpilla were absolutely fabulous as was cameo guest reedist Bobby Gordon. Guitarist Howard Alden was in the group as well. I saw a number of bands in the day I was there (it's a 3-day festival) but the highlight was the Natural Gas Jazz Band, which brings forth the exciting sounds of the Lu Watters Yerba Buena group from the 1940s. Virginia Tichenor was a highlight of the "Pianorama" room. Lotsa fun for us Moldy Figges.

Cary Ginell
Origin Jazz Library
www.originjazz.com