[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 2, Issue 72

Mike Richter mrichter at cpl.net
Fri Nov 28 18:02:33 PST 2008

S&R Pinsker wrote:
>> From: Mike Richter <mrichter at cpl.net>

>> Any significant audio archiving - even if only for one's personal
>> access
>> - should be in a lossless format. Whether WAV, AIFF, APE, FLAC or
>> something else depends on individual tradeoffs.
>
> Would the same apply for "capturing" streaming audio, much of which is
> @128kbs or less?

If you are archiving, you should do it in a lossless format. From that
start, losses will not compound.

> Total Recorder will convert an MP3 file to
> WAV (and vice versa) if I later decide I want
> to keep a performance on CD..

If you want to pay the quality price, save in MP3. If you're willing to
spend some space, archive in lossless. EXCEPTION: If you actually
capture an MP3 stream, stay with that; just don't recompress.

> Barenboim has just taken slightly more than
> a CD's worth for Act I of Tristan; where do I
> make a logical, and musical, side break?

The good side is that Acts II and III may fit on a CD each. The bad news
is that there's no good place to split Act I. If I were forced into such
an operation, I'd probably break after Isolde's Curse. Once Tristan
shows up, the music and action are continuous and do not have the
relaxation of tension after the curse.

Mike
mrichter at cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/