[78-L] Just ranting, was Re: Just sharing [FWD]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Nov 20 18:19:16 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Harkin" <harkinmike at yahoo.com>
>> From: Erwin Kluwer <ekluwer at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [78-L] Just ranting, was Re: Just sharing
>> To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>> Date: Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 5:00 AM
>> Well in general 78 recording grading devalued
>> more and more.....
>> nowadays VG+ stands for:
>>  pretty lousy record
> Remember Lewis Carroll:  "A word  [read:  grading] means what I choose it
> to mean."

Exactly! Record grading is a SUBjective, not OBjective process; the first
step
in dealing with a record dealer is to learn how he/she/it defines the grades
(dealers
are fairly consistent in that way)! Over the years, I have dealt with
dealers from whom
one could safely bid on V+ records...and others from whom one didn't bid on
anything graded less than E! Worse yet, there are folks out there who make
up
their OWN dommed systems...?!

...stevenc