[78-L] Personal - that's the label's name

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Nov 19 18:42:50 PST 2008

see end...
----- Original Message -----
From: "joe at salerno.com" <jsalerno at earthlink.net>
> if it is a label. This is a SF 10" shellac that looks like an acoustic,
> and to my ears sounds like one also, even tho it says Electric Recording
> Laboratories, New York City in gold charachters along the bottom
> perimeter of the label, which is purple with a gold circle around the
> perimeter of the label
> There is an emblem like a lion with claws in the air at the top, in the
> middle of a white oval almost round shape, with ornate 19th century
> styled curly cues around it
> the bottom of the label is hand written, Go to Sleep My Huskie (? the
> first letter is oddly written) Baby (Rix) but the tune is Dvorak's
> Humoresque
> the performer's name is Edna Frandini, not one of the great voices of
> the century to my ears
> piano acomp with violin obligato
> the matrix in the run out at 6 o'clock says 2.5 2 .-2 the dots are
> actually in the middle of the line equal to the dash, not a decimal point
> at 9 o clock there is an oval or somewhat elongated "0"
> nothing on the back
> there's no catalog number or matrix info on the label
> So what is this a vanity record? must have been expensive to record
> something and do a limited run, even by hand, plating, pressing...

That's exactly what it was! A number of record firms...most notably
Columbia...
would press "custom" records for anyone who showed up with the $$$ to get
them done!

In this case, I have always suspected the "Electric Recording Co." (which,
as
you surmise, made only acoustic records...?!) relates to "The Electric," a
c.
1924 label. They aslo recorded (I suspect) a number of private records of
various local/school bands/artists from Ohio. I have a coupleof such discs,
as
well as at least one "Personal" disc!

IIRC, Homer Rodeheaver's record label used a very similar identity for
their "private pressings"...durned if I can recall what it was, though...?!

...stevenc